After updating all code that deals with DED Model definitions to use the new
Record based storage, I was slightly disappointed — although not surprised — to see that loading up a resource pack and trying to use it would result in a crash.
This is a pattern that I’ve come to accept as the norm: after working on a set of significant changes, my initial design and plan are shown to be valid, but I have to spend a couple of hours tracking down bugs that, in the end, prove to be trivial. In other words, one can’t expect to write bug free code.
Continue reading A tale of model definition bug hunting
While working on the
Record based definitions, I noticed that there is a clear redundancy in the
get*() methods: they pop up in
Config, and now I also needed them in a utility class that manipulates model definition data stored in a
The solution was to add a new class called
RecordAccessor that contains nothing but these
get*() methods. This new class can then be inherited into any other class that benefits from providing native access to a
RecordAccessor is currently specific to
Record instances, it could still be generalized into an
IAccessor class that queries values from an abstract source where values are addressed using paths — this would make it possible to use it also with
Speaking of mobile Doomsday, having played around with Qt 5.3 on iOS and Android, I now have a bit more concrete picture of what Doomsday will look like as a mobile build.
Supporting mobile platforms is something I think is very much necessary for the future. I see desktop computing becoming more of a niche thing, as most people’s needs will be met by various forms of phones and tablets. Still, DOOM was born in the age of desktop PC gaming and Doomsday will naturally respect this; not only will we continue to develop the project on desktop (or laptop) computers, that is the environment the game was originally designed for.
Continue reading Mobile Doomsday
We’re switching to SDL 2.0 from the SDL 1.2 that has been in use for years in Doomsday. Sometimes I feel that minimalism would be the right way to go, and start considering if a switch back to SDL as the base framework would make sense. This scenario starts to look more enticing particularly with a switch to C++11 looming on the horizon — at least the crucial Qt components like threading and conveniences like
foreach would be available via the programming language itself.
Continue reading SDL 2 vs. Qt
After half an hour of confusion and tinkering, I learned that my problems were due to switching from a Qt 4.8 build to Qt 5.3, and not clearing the build directory completely.
macdeployqt does not work properly if there is an app built with a different Qt version.
In the midst of wondering what is going on, I also ran into a number of display mode switch issues. It looks like I’ll finally have to drop the deprecated OS X display mode change API calls and just use the OS X fullscreen mode. This means the display mode is not configurable via Doomsday (which is what Apple recommends, I suppose). However, there might be a way to kludge around the glitches (black screen remains after mode switch) by adding some further delays and other tricks… Doesn’t seem like the right thing to do, though.
Doomsday has never been fully Unicode compatible, however now that FS2 is being taken into use in several places, it is time to try and fix the remaining Unicode related issues with file paths. Continue reading Unicode and the file system
Having updated the DED parser with new
DEDRegister based storage for model definitions, this first step of revising model definitions seems to be going well. Continue reading Parsing DED into a Record
Defs namespace now exists and provides access to DED flag definitions. Now I need to decide what to do with model definitions and the old model renderer. Continue reading Revising model defs
For the past three years I’ve been writing weekly posts about how the work on Doomsday is progressing. With the exception of a couple of missed weeks and holiday breaks, I’ve managed to stay in schedule and make the post every week. I’ve found this a very healthy exercise, although some weeks have been pretty thin content-wise. However, it might be worthwhile to rethink this arrangement a little. Continue reading Posting practices