To accompany the upcoming release, the demo video on the dengine.net front page has been updated. It shows a few snippets of gameplay with the default settings, without any additional mods. This time with audio and in normal speed!
Version 2.2 is a relatively minor feature update. It comes with a number of bug fixes and a bunch of modding enhancements.
A few more regressions related to 3D model rendering are fixed in this release. Also, on macOS the applications are now notarized and the bundle metadata has been fixed to contain appropriate IDs.
This also acts as a test for the revised build scripts that now live in a repository separate from the main Doomsday source code. The separation makes it easier to maintain the scripts while building releases from different branches.
2.1.1 is a patch release that improves the stability of the engine and fixes some incorrect behavior.
There were a couple of regressions in the renderer such as white flashes with additively blended dynamic lights, and black walls appearing in the sky. A few bugs have also been fixed in the game menus and resource file management.
Doomsday 2.1 has been released (build 2900), coinciding with the 25th anniversary of DOOM!
This version contains several improvements for an all-around nicer experience:
Graphics optimization. While games still use the classic renderer like in 2.0, all graphics are now drawn using OpenGL 3.3. This enables optimizations for more efficient rendering of the player view, menus, text, and the Doomsday UI.
UI improvements. The Doomsday UI look and feel has been refreshed. The game library is now more flexible and powerful with further game customization settings and view options.
Multiplayer convenience. Clients will automatically download missing PWADs from the server before joining the game.
The third and possibly final release candidate of 2.1 is now available (build 2898).
This build comes with a couple of Windows-related updates: the Qt library has been upgraded, and the 32-bit Windows build now has a fully functional FluidSynth audio plugin. This has been available in the 64-bit build for a while.
Unless any showstoppers are discovered, the next build will be the stable 2.1.0.
Version 2.1 is now feature complete. While I originally hoped to focus on multiplayer-related enhancements in this release, it turned out a little differently. Roughly speaking the first half of 2018 was spent working on the foundations of the next revision of the renderer (not included in 2.1), and only during the second half I focused on 2.1 related work.
One important multiplayer improvement has been added for 2.1, though: clients can download mods (e.g., PWADs) from the server in case they are needed for joining a multiplayer game.
The stable 2.1.0 will be released before the end of the year. I intend to spend the remaining time on fixing bugs (some already listed in the roadmap).
Let’s have a quick look at the changes done over the past weeks.
Over the past few weeks, I’ve made a couple of stable builds with the version 2.0.3. The first one of those was made a bit early as I was about to leave for a trip abroad, and mainly included one bug fix for Hexen related to saving and restoring object state from save files. Recently I’ve made a couple of additional stable builds to investigate and fix a problem with the Ubuntu Launchpad build scripts, where the “doomsday-stable” packages were correctly built but nothing was actually included in the generated DEB packages.
On the whole, progress has been somewhat slow. Perhaps the biggest advance was in the dengine.net website backend, where I’ve now split the API functionality to a separate api.dengine.net server, so that things like master server and update queries won’t interfere with the normal operation of the project home page and forums. I hope this will alleviate the issue of dengine.net sometimes failing to respond to requests.
Prompted by a forum post, over the weekend I was investigating an audio volume issue on Windows. It turns out there is a problem with the SDL_mixer music volume controls. I have yet to determine if there is a workaround that Doomsday can do to avoid the issue. Such a workaround would be preferable to disabling SDL_mixer music on Windows completely, since SDL_mixer does bring value to the table (e.g., music formats). The situation is also slightly tricky because SDL and SDL_mixer are built in to the engine, so there isn’t a plugin to take out or something simple like that.